How to save on home heating oil this winter
- 14 July 2017
While the people in the tropical Great South East needn’t worry too much about staying warm in the winter months, there are many Australians - predominately inland and around the southern parts of the country, such as Bathurst, Jindabyne, and the Darling Downs region - who rely on internal heating powered by diesel fuel for heating oil to ride out the frost.
If you’re concerned about home heating oil prices for your home during the winter months, follow these solutions to keep costs down.
Buy heating oil in bulk
Bulk heating oil can be delivered by a tanker truck to your commercial, residential and industrial premise and stored in a storage tank which is situated in the garage or within access of the building. Purchasing in bulk generally comes at a cheaper cost and avoids the premium attached if you’ve run out and need to refill quickly.
Pay the right way
Look after your tank and oil
Before you refill your tank, be sure to inspect it for any corrosion, cracks and discolouration so that no unwanted debris can get into the tank to affect the oil. While your bulk heating oil supplier may be able to perform checks and maintenance on your storage tanks, it’s worthwhile getting to know your tank and knowing what to look out for. It will ensure you maintain optimal performance on your tank and minimise larger, more costly break down costs.
Turn the thermostat down
Did you know you can save up to 10% on your annual fuel bill by reducing the temperature by one degree Celsius? Many oil fired boilers have a built in thermostat control, and while we can’t recommend adjusting the controls without professional guidance, it’s worth asking a qualified heating technician to examine the boiler and adjust the thermostat temperature if necessary.
Consider replacing heating systems
Have you owned your oil heating system for over 20 years? A modern heating system, operated with heating oil, could cut your heating costs by 15 – 25%.
Improve on insulation in the home
Heat has a tendency to escape quickly during winter if there are insulation and draught issues in the building or home. Walls and roofs loose a combined 60% of the heat, while draughts, flooring and windows loose the remaining 40%. If your home is losing heat, it may be time to review your insulation options.
Looking for competitively priced heating oil?